Sunday, July 1, 2007

"If We Don't Hang Together"


Franklin continues with: "We most assuredly will hang together." McKean responds with:
" In my case hanging won't be so bad--one snap and it'll be over--just like that! But look at Read there--he'll be dancing a jig long after I'm gone!"

The original quote comes from Benjamin Harrison of Virginia to Elbridge Gerry of Massachusettes:
"I shall have a great advantage over you when we are all hung for what we are now doing, Mr. Jerry, from the size and weight of my body I shall die in a few minutes but from the likeness of your body you will dance in the air for one hour."

A few factoids: Elbridge Gerry entered Harvard at the age of 14, and after his father and sisters were killed by lightening, Benjamin Harrison took over and ran the family plantation.

No comments: